Me and UWC


UWC has been my dream since I was eleven. At the time, I was homeschooled as I travelled with my parents, and my mum and I had been discussing options for high school. She was the one that found UWC, but I was the one who decided that this was something I needed to do. Everything I learned about UWC just reinforced my dream. I loved travelling, so the chance to go to a school in a different country was a big draw. A challenging academic program sounded wonderful. And even the thought of a boarding school was exciting. Of course, what really drew me to UWC was the philosophy behind it.

 UWC was founded during the Cold War, by a group of Noble laureates who were intent on using education as a force for change and for peace. If they could unite a group of promising young people, maybe they could bridge the gaps between various cultures and religions, creating the next generation of change-makers. That philosophy has persisted over decades.

 My own journey to UWC has been a rocky one. I first applied in 2016, when I was fifteen. My application was selected for the interview phase, but I learned there had been a mistake. UWC candidates needed to be sixteen on September 1st but I was sixteen on September 6th. That was heartbreaking, but I decided to reapply in 2017. After a long, stressful process, I learned a month ago that I’ve been accepted to UWCSA, (Waterford Kamhlaba) in Swaziland. I’ll be leaving British Colombia in January 2019 to head to the school of my dreams.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say goodbye

Back on a Beach: Maia in Moz

Kamhlaba and COVID-19