New Job


UWC is not well known. When I told my friends and family that I had been accepted, I developed a bit of a spiel that I was able to rattle off, explaining why, exactly, I was going to do an extra year of high school a world away from home. However, the people who do know about UWC are often the ones who are able to open the most amazing doors for you.

I got my first job this week. I’m working as the administrative assistant on a campaign for the Vancouver mayoral election. The candidate, Shauna Sylvester, is a friend of a friend. I was introduced to her at a local music festival, and I mentioned UWC. She told me she used to take her daughter to Pearson College’s One World performance every year – she understood just how exciting it was to have been selected for a UWC. She suggested I think about working for her campaign, and her campaign manager gave me a card. I told her I would love to volunteer.

 The next day, I sent over my resume, and they replied within an hour, asking me to meet them and discuss a possible role with the campaign. I assumed it was an interview for a volunteer position. When I arrived the next day, references in hand, they sat me down and offered me an hourly wage that was above minimum.

Shauna’s rational was that she figured UWC had already vetted me – if they wanted me, then she did too.  UWC gives you an amazing experience all on its own. But it also helps you start building important connections from a young age. I’m incredibly excited to be having this experience, and grateful that the name-recognition of UWC got me a foot in the door.                                                           

Comments

  1. Go Maia, well done, need to see some posts about the new job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say goodbye

Kamhlaba and COVID-19

Back on a Beach: Maia in Moz