Ordinary Day


Most of my weekdays start at 6:30 – the sun rises before I do, which is novel for months that I’m in school. I typically forgo breakfast in the dining hall for fruit and toast in my room – unless it’s French toast day, in which case I’ll go and eat second helpings. School starts at 8 technically, but on Wednesday, we have assembly and on Thursday we have community service, so school really only starts at 8 on the other days. Luckily for me, I have free periods on both Tuesday and Friday mornings so Monday is the only day when I have to start actual school before 9. 

On most days I have four or five classes with a nice sprinkling of free periods, before school ends at 4. From 4-5, I’ll typically have some sort of co-curricular – choir, tango, a forum theatre project, ect. From 5-6 I might go back to my room to get a head start on homework, and from 6-7 is dinner. From 7-8 I’ll probably have another activity – SAGA (sexuality and gender alliance) a planning session for the next time we go to Mpaka Refugee camp, or I’ll go to the gym. 

Our prep time starts at 8:30 which means the boys have to be out of the girls’ side of the hostel and vice versa. Technically it’s quiet time, but you can still stay out on the field and socialize, or stay in the common room as long as it’s quiet. I like to use prep time for revision, and typically work from 8:30-10:30. After that, I might hang out with a friend for another hour or so before going to bed at 11:30 and doing the whole thing over again the next day. It’s hard, and tiring, but so far it’s very much worth it.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time to say goodbye

Kamhlaba and COVID-19

Back on a Beach: Maia in Moz